Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Adventurous, Spontaneous Impulses




My sense of adventure can be rather simple. Some days I desire to act on spontaneous impulses more than planned, elaborate adventures. This weekend was filled with spontaneous joys.



I visited a glorious garden at Heart’s Ease in Cambria, CA that was small in size, but big on surprise. There were nooks and crannies at every turn beckoning visitors further into a world of abundant color and heady aromas. This was a place that truly inspired one to stop and smell the roses, and how often do we really do that in our busy days?

I originally went there to scout out a possible location for a photo shoot to spruce up my website, and I wasn’t disappointed. I had a good time trying out the different spots in the garden that said ‘sit awhile and enjoy the day’. Inspired by spontaneity, I also snuck under over-grown parts of the garden to explore the way-back areas up close. There’s nothing that says adventure like forging a path to the unexplored (no, I didn’t harm any plants along the way).

And the adventurous spirit wasn’t done there. We headed back home and made another adventurous stop at Giovanni’s Fish Market. What to choose from their wonderful array of fresh catch? Shellfish seemed to call to me all weekend: shrimp, bay scallops, oysters…and oh, let me tell you about the oysters!! As we were leaving the market excited about the meal to come, we passed a young man grilling oysters for sale, complete with a variety of intriguing sauces. Had I been in a less adventurous mood I might have passed this by, and, in fact, we were 10 steps away when we realized that now was the time to try them… not later, not someday, but now.

Oh My God! What a taste delight. The oysters were done to perfection, the sauces added a spicy kick and the liquor remaining in the shell was to die for. And to think, I almost passed this up!

This weekend was a joy for me; totally free-spirited and unplanned ~ truly spontaneous. Yes, soon I will be exploring the delights of New York and other Eastern seaboard areas, and next year I plan to zip line in Costa Rica, but for my everyday life right now, spontaneity is the spirit in my heart that lets me know that I am participating in life, not just going thorough the motions.

No comments:

Post a Comment