Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

The Energy Game

Sitting on the edge of the sidewalk in The Village, he painted on vinyl LPs. Painted horrible, twisted images. I watched him work as his head bounced to the music coming from the boom box sitting near his elbow. People walked by, some slowing to look, but most pointedly looking away. He did not notice them. But as I passed, be looked up from his work and made eye contact. I don’t know what it meant, but it made me think. It made me wonder about this young man and the horrible images that he called art. I enjoyed that moment immensely. That’s what I love about people—watching them, looking for a glimpse inside their minds to understand them. I love people, just not necessarily interacting with them.

I know that extroverts get their energy from interaction, but as an introvert, interaction saps my energy. But the joy of being in the middle of a place like a busy city sidewalk is truly enjoyable. Interaction is not expected, nor even desired. I suppose that it is being able to watch and wonder about what you’re seeing that amuses me. I can’t help but go off on an imaginative trek when I see an unusual person. The beauty is I can spend as much time with them – in my mind – that I want without the concern of actual interaction. Spending time in ones mind is energizing isn’t it?

So, dear introverts, my challenge to you is to sit and people watch for a moment. When you spy an intriguing character, let your imagination go wild as you create their reality. Why are they there? What is on their mind? What are their plans for the day? Go as tame or as bizarre as you’d like…it’s your energy game, and you’ll find it’s a bit recharging for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment