Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Balancing Act


I hit a wall today. I craved a slower pace, less food and much more solitude. Not because I don’t enjoy the people and activities, but because I haven’t had enough time inside my own head with my own thoughts…an introvert’s necessity. With so much to see and do, it’s hard to resist the urge to cram it all in and just go non-stop.

And I almost fell for it. But I know what will happen if I do. If I don’t listen to my body’s request to recharge, I will soon become the irritable and unapproachable lady hanging back on the fringes of activity, or (even worse) I will succumb to catching a cold—talk about enforced R and R!

Since I’m not here to hang back from the whirlwind of activity, nor to be sick, I wisely took an afternoon for myself…I went outside and absorbed the sun’s warmth on my skin, drank in the sounds of the birds busily competing for crumbs and just soaked in the quiet, rejuvenating energy of this beautiful area.

No, I’m not in the city…and thus recharging came easier for me here. However, curiosity leads me to imagine myself in the middle of Greenwich Village. Could I find a way to recharge amid the onslaught of the big-city energy? Yes, I think so. Any time I can spend time inside my own head to think my own thoughts without interruption is a time I am recharging.

Recharging for introverts means going within…often time solitude assists that process, but we can go within under just about any circumstances. It’s best to find a place to sit with perhaps an interesting book to read, definitely a cup of tea…all those nurturing little things that facilitate the recharging process. For me, today, I needed a minor recharge which I choose to do now, rather than let my batteries deplete completely. I have had a wonderful day filled with introspection and I am truly ready to get back out into the excitement of new sights, sounds, smells and tastes…another day of excitement is waiting for this Adventurous Introvert.

1 comment:

  1. Creating this balance is what makes life bearable for us! New York City would be quite a challenge though - admittedly! :)




    ~*

    ReplyDelete