Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Enough Stirring Already!

My friend and I had a mini adventure back to Paso Robles and the wonderful cheese shop, Di Raimondo’s Italian Market. As we explored the rest of the town we were getting energized by the creativity displayed in many of the retail shops. Few words were exchanged as we both internalized what we were experiencing---that’s what I love about my friend, we’re usually on the same page of interaction, and can just be quiet together.

We decided to stay for lunch before heading back to the coast and took care to pick an interesting restaurant. We chose well as we examined the menu…lots of tempting things to pique the salivary glands. As we ordered, we were commenting how nice the place was. And then……..,seated at a table no more than 6 feet away was a woman and her gentleman friend. We heard her first…then felt the onslaught of her energy. She was stirring a simple glass of iced tea as if her life depended on it. Seriously…the energy was so intense that my friend and I had to stop our conversation and just stare while she relentlessly attacked the ice cubes.

Do not think for one moment, dear reader, that this was ordinary stirring to dissolve some sugar…there was way more to it than that. The really fascinating part was the rest of her body language. She sat relaxed, her face was open and smiling, her friend was too. They seemed to really be enjoying their lunch together. But oh, the hand that stirred the drink…first with the spoon, then with the straw. I wanted to tell the server not to refill her glass. It was non-stop for the entire lunch.

Part of me was hugely entertained by this woman’s actions, the other part wanted to throttle her (alright, at the very least dump her drink in her lap---but wait, she would have to have a refill). How can a person send such mixed singles: Happy, relaxed, and open, but killer with the stirring hand?  My friend wanted to say something, but honestly? I sensed some danger there. What we witnessed was adventurous enough for me….

No comments:

Post a Comment