Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Phonophobia Strikes Again


You do know that I’m a phonophobe? No, it’s not really a word, but it describes my relationship with the telephone to a tee. I just made an important call to my dentist…one that needed to have been made several weeks ago, and now I’m in an emergency situation.

No, I’m not afraid of the dentist. Yes, I have time to make the visit, I even have the funds to cover the visit, so how could I let this happen, you ask? Phonophobia – I will avoid anything that takes a phone call.

I had a wonderful visit with a friend yesterday via Skype. I’ve always had wonderful, insightful, inspirational visits with this friend, but all day I fought the urge to text her and cancel our talk. Phonophobia.

Is it because I depend on visuals when I’m talking? I don’t know, I think that’s part of it, but there is something else at play too. I’ve read of other introverts who have the same phobia, so I know I’m not alone.

That fact has little consolation when you are gripped by the negative emotion of answering the phone. Jump off a cliff? Hmmm, let me think about it. Answer the phone? Are you crazy?

Email me anytime, day or night and I’ll get right back to you. Call me and you’ll probably get my voice mail and maybe a call back. Then again, maybe not…

No comments:

Post a Comment