Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Succulent Garden

My favorite words lately are ones like juicy, wild, succulent, voluptuous, and adventurous. What rich images these words bring to mind—almost primal. One can easily imagine themselves fully immersed in life upon hearing these words.

If I were using them to describe food your mouth would be watering right now wouldn’t it? But what if I use these words to describe life? Sounds exciting, yes? Until recently I was always just a bit reserved using them because they seem larger than life; they seem outward and fully immersed and smack-dab in the thick of things. That doesn’t seem very introverted does it? So I wonder, is a wild, juicy, and succulent life not possible for the introvert? Hardly. It’s not about what you do, or what others see, but all about your attitude toward life.

I grew up on the beach. I have full, rich memories of spending every summer day in the sand taunting the waves, side-stepping the rotting sea weed and collecting the abandoned sand crab shells. Still, in my mind, I can run with wild abandon and jump through the foamy water’s edge. I can scramble across jetties and laugh with the seagulls for I have the ability to take my thoughts just a bit deeper each time I remember. If that isn’t juicy and wild I don’t know what is.

I may not show my deep, voluptuous side to the world at large, but it’s there in moments of rich thought that seeps into every cell of my body. My wild and juicy moments give life to creative endeavors, and adventurous spirit. Succulent? Well, I have that too in my wonderful garden filled with them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment