Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

At the End of My Rope...

I was feeling ‘at the end of my rope’ the other day. It doesn’t really matter what the particular issues were. What does matter, however, was that intense feeling of frustration, locking me all up inside…then I realized that with each rope we come to the end of, we are offered choices of paths to take.

One popular saying is "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." But I had to wonder, am I so busy hanging on to the rope that I am totally missing the opportunities that are presenting themselves to me? And if that were true, just what did my rope look like and why was I so attached to it? Well, that’s less of a question because it’s pretty easy to dearly hang on to the known just to avoid the unknown. It’s what we call our comfort zone (no matter how uncomfortable it is).

Lately I’ve been drawn to stories and quotes about adventure…I know that adventure is less about climbing mountains and more about attitude and taking personal risks…especially emotional risks. I feel that I am, once again, on the precipice of another great leap in my life, for I have battled with this ‘end of my rope’ syndrome for months now. I’m not sure what my new direction will be, but the thing is, I can't go in a new direction until I'm ready to let go of the rope.

What ‘ropes’ are you hanging on to? What opportunities are showing up for you, that you are ignoring? Just what would happen if you let go of that rope and let your feet land where they may? Hmmm… Happy adventuring fellow introverts.

No comments:

Post a Comment