Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Count Down to NYC

My big adventure to New York is almost here. I am beginning to feel the excitement and the anticipation. I am also beginning to feel overwhelmed and I'm starting to have those first moments of discomfort that precede an emotional 'shut down' (the introverts survial technique for sensory overload).
The good news is that I recognize all the sensations in my body as a natural and predictable part of being an introvert.  I know from the start that I will be quite nervous as I begin my adventure--it's not a bad thing, it just is. Here are some strategies that I am using to manage the sensations coursing through my body right now:
  • Recognize them for what they are without judgement--then let them go
  • Allow plenty of opportunity to retreat to solitude to re-egergize and destress
  • Get plenty exercise (walking, hiking and kayaking are my favorite energizers).
  • Eat healthy...cut down or eliminate sugars and gluten products
  • Keep a check-off list to visually assure myself that everything is manageable (visuals are a huge benefit for me!)
  • Keep a New York Folder of all my thoughts, plans, itenerary, etc., to take with me.
The most important thing to do, right now, is to keep visual reminders and constantly acknowledge that my sensory overload is a natural part of being 'me'...by organizing my thoughts and plans in advance (well before the anxiety kicks in) I can trust that I am ready and I can simply ride out the discomfort. Here's to the next adventure of many...stay tuned to this blog for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment