Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

After Burn - Making Sense of Chaos


Every time I sit down to write about Burning Man my thoughts go a thousand different directions. Each experience was so self contained that it’s hard to put them into organized thoughts to make sense to anyone who wasn’t there – and maybe even to those who were there since we all saw Burning Man through our own eyes.

We were greeted at the entrance gate with a “Welcome home”, and while I now know what that means vis a vis Burning Man, it had a special meaning for me that night – a long-time desert rat with memories of security and place in the harsh environment. I was returning home, make no mistake about it, but this home was so vastly different that anything I’ve ever experienced.

Burning Man was everything I thought it would be and more. The desert will always be my emotional home. It is where I can breathe. It is where I can ground. It is a bigger part of me than I remembered and my reconnection was a joy. I can tell you about the hordes of people, the heat, the wind, the ever present dust, oh the dust!, the beauty of the sculptures standing alone on the Playa, and of course there is the noise - the music that is pulsating at all hours of the day, the Carnival/Mardi Gras feeling of the Esplanade at night, the Star Wars environment of the Playa during the day. It all fit together to make one big, amazing week.

I tried to write my thoughts down while I was there, but they were mostly a chronology of what I was doing. While there was much feeling evoked from all of it, I was unaware of what exactly they were…except when I was way out on the Playa getting my energy back from Mother Earth.

I still cannot find the words to describe what happened, but I am so content with the residual feelings that sit in my heart. Will I go back next year? Hell yeah!!


Look for further posts about the art, the people, the environment, the camps, the noise, the music...they all belong together in their own package....kind of like Christmas morning....many presents that all add up to be one event. I'm opening them all right now......

2 comments:

  1. What did I tell ya! Yes, Burningman rocks. My first year was "magical", this year (my second) was filled with "personal growth" - which for me means stretching my boundaries and having my buttons pushed. My take home lesson is that being an introvert I can honor, accept, and cherish my introversion - but it is no longer OK to use it an excuse for not living large, doing what seems "impossible", and breaking through imaginary boundaries.

    Kudos to you for step out into the brave new world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're soooooo right!!! I had already done so much personal growth which allowed me to step into this new adventure that was so totally out of the norm for me. It's amazing how life just opens up when you come to terms with yourself and refuse to accept limitations. Living large - I love the way you put it, because I will continue to push my boundaries out more and more....can't wait for the next adventure. And of course, can't wait til next year to go again!!

    ReplyDelete